Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The top 40 films of the 2000s: A Preview

Well, it's taken me a solid month to make this list, not to mention some rewatching of films, coaxing from friends, and self-debate and doubt. Even as I completed the list of 40, I stared at a list I had sitting off to the side of films from the decade that would probably be on the list if I had seen them already. At first I wanted to be embarassed by the fact that I haven't seen some of these films that are appearing on the best-of lists of many critics. But then I though, you know what? They are getting paid for this, and although I SHOULD be, I am not. I have taste. I will get around to them. This list can only be about what I have seen, not what I should see. And these lists are transient. I can change my mind tomorrow.

The list I came up with is actually fairly well-distributed across the decade. Three films each are from 2000 and 2003, 4 films each from 2002, 2006 and 2008, 5 are from 2004, 6 are from 2001 and 2005 respectively, and the year 2007 leads my list with seven films. In addition, one film from this year, 2009, makes my list (and does quite well on it). I suspect that if more time had gone by and I would have had time to see more from 2009, a few more titles might have snuck in, but at least all years from the decade are represented here.

Choosing films for a list like this is very difficult. I tried to use the following criteria as my guide:
1. CULTURAL SIGNIFICANCE. If the film was responsible for a style or trend or captured the mood or attitude of the decade, it merited consideration here.
2. RE-WATCHABILITY. Some films on the list are powerful in ways that make them difficult to watch multiple times. Sometimes, once is even enough. But most films on the list are movies that grow more rich with repeat views.
3. MASTERY. I tried to pick films that came close, in my opinion, to being the best the could be, given what they were trying to accomplish. It is very difficult to measure something like "The Dark Knight" against something like "The Lives of Others." So you have to ask yourself how successful the film was in doing what it was trying to do. Still tricky, but at least it gives you a guideline.
4. EMOTIONAL CONNECTION. Ultimately, this helped me order the films once the 40 were picked. You might see things up higher that had a stronger emotional impact on me, and films that my brain tells me were masterful or important will appear on the list, but lower. Go with your gut, they say. In fact, my #1 had to be the movie that moved me the most.

Next, the list!

No comments:

Post a Comment