Monday, June 15, 2009

Let the Right One In (2008)


I first saw LET THE RIGHT ONE IN during my year-end movie blowout and while I liked the film, it didn't really hit me. I'm not big into vampire stuff. The thought of watching a Twilight film or reading one of those books makes me want to barf. Now I kind of wish I had seen "Twilight," because as I rewatched LET THE RIGHT ONE IN today, I imagined that this film is probably FAAAAR superior to that other, more commercial vampire film. But I have to be honest in admitting that I can't make that comparison firsthand.

LET THE RIGHT ONE IN is a fantastic film, though. Shot in mostly frigid long shots, it follows the savage bullying of a 12-year-old boy in a Stockholm suburb who befriends a mysterious girl he meets at night on a playground by his apartment building. She turns out to be a vampire -- one of those reluctant ones who feels guilty about what she has to do to survive. There is certainly no joy in it for her, and she holds Oskar's advancements for friendship and, possibly, romance, at arm's length while managing to strengthen his resolve to stand up to his tormenters.

I found this film to be as much about what kids who are bullied must endure as it was a vampire film, if not more. Oskar has no one but his vampire friend to turn to -- so much so that he shrugs her off when she asks "what if I'm not really a girl?" and begins to exhibit stranger and stranger behavior. She makes him stand up for himself and he begins to take revenge on the bullies. In her debt, he also begins to assist her in locating prey for her own survival.

The final moments of the film, while perhaps a bit expected, are nonetheless dramatically satisfying. A sort of Faustian bargain, we are left with the sense that Oskar and his friend need each other to survive. Bonus kudos, by the way, to the music of Per Gessle, who's Swedish band Glynne Tyner (sp?) appears in a few scenes. Nice to hear a little Roxette(ish) every now and then!

I don't expect many American film viewers to come across this one, but if you call yourself a fan of vampire films, you aren't much of one if you skip this one just because it's not in English. And I suspect the Robert Patinson fans are the moviegoers in biggest need of checking this gem out.


3.5 out of 4

No comments:

Post a Comment