Monday, January 3, 2011

Blu-ray!

Well, it took a while, but the Carlson household has finally entered the Blu-ray era!

I've heard the stories about the noticeably better quality of blu-ray films on a blu-ray player, but I never had the extra couple hundred bucks laying around to take the plunge. But thanks to a sweet deal, my wife showed up with one on New Year's Eve, along with copies of "Toy Story 3" and the 3-disc collector's edition of "Avatar." I figure "Inception" is my next blu-ray purchase.

So far, I haven't even hooked the player up yet, but I'm looking forward to it. But I'd love to hear from you.
Given the higher price of blu-ray discs, how often do you, if you are a blu-ray user, purchase them?
Do you still purchase some movies or TV shows on regular DVD even though you own a blu-ray, and if so, how do you decide which format to buy?
Do regular DVDs look better on a blu-ray player than they would on a normal DVD player, like I've heard they do?
Which blu-ray discs are worth the purchase? What belongs in my library?

I'd love to hear from you!
KC

3 comments:

  1. Blu Ray "all the way"!! So much better! The HD quality is so significantly better. I would buy one and get a dvd-blu ray pack movie (a lot have both) and watch it once on each player... ~Lucas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purchased a blue ray this year and noticed immediately the difference in playing regular DVDs on it- it was a significant difference, but I had a very old cheapo DVD player.

    I didn't buy a whole lot of movies to begin with, so now I just buy my favorites and movies I think worth owning all on blue ray. I own 6 blue rays now. :) And four of those were Christmas presents. So... I feel like I'm going to buy all blue ray from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look back to when you started buying DVDs over VHS. The same thing is happening now with Blu-ray and DVDs, in a few years you'll be wondering why you have so many DVDs and why you didn't start buying more Blu-ray's earlier. That being said, Blu-ray's are more expensive than DVDs, so it may be hard to justify buying just Blu-ray until the price drops. I have a hard time justifying buying movies in general with the advent of Netflix, Apple TV, and other sources. My suggestion is, if you really like the movie get it in Blu-ray and if you aren't too hot for the movie, just rent it. Though Netflix does over Blu-ray rentals, so ideally you can just change over to getting Blu-rays from Netflix when they are available.

    Blu-ray players do make regular DVDs look better, as they are up-converting DVD players. Many DVD players made in the past three years do the same thing, so the difference will only be noticeable if you have an older DVD player.

    ReplyDelete