Saturday, November 20, 2010

Inception (2010)


(This is a mini-review of a movie I saw months ago.)

I'm not even going to try to type up a coherent review of Christopher Nolan's gutsy, intricate and brilliant INCEPTION when it's been over two months since I've last scene it. I'll just end up making a fool of myself. Suffice it to say that I will be watching the film again when I buy it on DVD, and I'll revisit that here with a full review then.

What I will tell you is that the film is stunning and one that you can't miss. It's the kind of head-scratcher that we need more of in the movie theatres these days. Not the wannabe head-scratchers (like this year's "Shutter Island"), but the real deal.

The technical elements of this film, for me, are every bit as showy and significant as last year's "Avatar." They might be even more impressive when you learn that some of the most shocking visual scenes, such as the one involving Joseph Gordon-Levitt in a rotating hotel hallway, were not done with CG graphics. Nolan, in fact, commanded his production crew to limit the CG work to as few moments as possible, and it's his style to not draw attention to them. This is in sharp contrast to a James Cameron, who flaunts CG work in an effort to draw attention more to the director's abilities than the story itself. INCEPTION has you neck-deep in its trippy plot; its visuals are organic by-products of this.

A few other brief observations:
1. This movie was made for multiple viewings. I've only seen it once so far.
2. I am in love with Marion Cotillard. The end.
3. I think I liked INCEPTION more than "The Dark Knight."
4. The much-talked-about ending of the film is brilliant.

Cinematic candy for the eyes, ears and mind!

4.0 out of 4

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this mini review I like it , Its short and sweet In this Inception Brown Jacket He is looking Handsome and Attractive. Probably one of the best films I've ever watched

    ReplyDelete