Friday, January 4, 2013

Amour (2012)

While I was impressed with Austrian director Michael Hanecke's 2009 film "The White Ribbon," the film left me emotionally cold. The film justifiably received an Oscar nomination for its stunning black and white cinematography and won the Palme d'Or at Cannes, but I found myself more interested in it than invested with it. I haven't seen much of Hanecke's work, but I do know that he is a very well-respected European filmmaker and that the opinion I hold about his previous film is not uncommon, as he is criticized for some degree of emotional detachment.

"Amour" will change all of that.

There is no better title for Hanecke's latest than simply, "Love." It's the story of an elderly couple dealing with physical deterioration. It's an exploration of what-do-we-do-nows and why-is-this-happening-to-us-es. And yes, it is horribly depressing.

But "Amour" is also soul-shakingly moving and emotional, thanks in no small part to the work of Emmanuella Riva and Jean-Louis Trintignant as the married Anne and Georges. In a perfect world, both would be nominated for Oscars, and I suspect that at least Riva, in the more obviously crafty of the two performances, has a good shot at one.

For two hours, Hanecke keeps us cooped up in the couple's apartment as Georges' love for Anne is challenged but never fully tested after she suffers a stroke. "Amour" is not the kind of film you'll be able to watch over and over again, but if you think you love someone, it's also not the kind of film you should let escape your viewing priorities simply because of its painful subject matter.

A stunner.

I will post a more complete review here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment