Sunday, April 19, 2009

Eastern Promises (2007)

My appreciation for David Cronenberg continues to grow. I was floored by A History of Violence" and also impressed with Eastern Promises, though I think I still like the former better as a whole.
What's great about this film, though, is the fact that Cronenberg is able to pack it with so much depth in just over 90 minutes of running time. If there is a lost art in modern filmmaking, the coexistence of depth and brevity is it.
Part of what makes that happen is the way the film draws upon the viewers' knowledge of mafia films -- particularly The Godfather. Remind yourself of the workings of the Corleone family while watching this and all kinds of connections can be made.
But this is the Russian mob transplanted to London, and Viggo Mortensen steps in with a riveting and controlled performance. Probably one of the year's best from an actor, though perhaps too subtle to get award recognition.
And then there's "that scene." Roger Ebert mentioned in his review that the already-famous scene in which Mortensen's hit man fends for his life while completely nude in a bathhouse steamroom will be the standard to fight scenes as The French Connection is to car chases. I agree. Man...that is a scene. When you consider that we are at our most vulunerable when naked and in the shower (see Psycho), it makes that scene all the more powerful.
I suspect that the power of this film as a whole will continue to increase in my mind as I reflect on it. Engrossing!

3.5 out of 4

No comments:

Post a Comment