Sunday, April 19, 2009

Margot at the Wedding (2007)

I appreciate Noah Baumbach. I think he's very talented, and I really liked The Squid and the Whale. Baumbach's talent is dialogue that is SO real and direction that is so "un-film-y" that you just feel like you're spying on real people.
For Margot at the Wedding, this was the problem...I didn't care about these people AT ALL. I didn't like them. I wasn't interested in them. I didn't relate to them. And, at times, I was thoroughly annoyed by them.
A bitchy, self-absorbed writer and her androgynous, helpless son. Her passive sister and the sister's loser fiancee. Great group!
I can appreciate that this film aims for a Bergman-like feel, but you've got to give me something to keep me in it, and I don't feel like this movie did a good enough job. Short of its real dialogue and a strong performance by Jennifer Jason Leigh, there wasn't much here. Fortunately, the promise of The Squid and the Whale has me hoping that this film was just a minor set-back.

1.0 out of 4

No comments:

Post a Comment