Sunday, April 19, 2009

Superbad (2007)

OVERRATED. Not sure how else to state it.
Was this movie funny? HELL YES. I laughed a ton. And in the tradition of the Apatow school of screenwriting, there was even a sweet message buried underneath the filth.
My main problem with Superbad is that I'm at the age now where I've discovered that ANYONE who is alowed to use explicit, perpetual profanity and make references to sex and body parts or fluids can make someone laugh. So I guess I'm just more impressed by movies that can make me laugh that don't resort to this common tactic.
Superbad doesn't even make an attempt at this, however, so you have to take it for what it is: a standard teen party movie that was done better most recently as Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle.
My favorite character was McLovin, but I suspect I'm not the only one. That kid was hilarious. And I continue to enjoy Michael Cera. That Jonah Hill character was annoying, though, so my favorite scene with him was when the car backed into him.
FUNNY STUFF, but only because any movie that resorts to this kind of material is going to make people laugh.

2.5 out of 4

No comments:

Post a Comment