Saturday, April 18, 2009

Welcome to "...On the Movie"

God bless the Internet! When I walked out of college with a degree in Journalism, a few years of professional features and entertainment writing experience, and a dream to be the next Gene Siskel (Roger likes everything, I reasoned), I was told more than once that I wasn't qualified to be a movie critic. "You're only 22," they said. "How many movies could you have possibly seen?"

There is definitely ageism when it comes to revering film critics. I'm not going to lie...I'm not high on Ben Lyons yet. Daddy got that job for him, and I'm bitter. That was MY JOB! Too late now. Yes, it's true, though. I tend to revere film critics with a little more time under their belt. My favorite critics anywhere close to my age are the guys over at Filmspotting: Adam Kempenaar and Matty Robinson are young but they watch a good 150+ films a year and are as unironic about all of it as I am. They're fantastic and thorough.

I had been meaning to document my film-going experiences for years now and couldn't determine a convenient formum for doing it. That is, until I joined Facebook. There, I started to catalogue what I had been watching and enjoyed the feedback from friends and strangers who read the reviews that I tried to keep to witty snapshots. But that wasn't exactly what I had in mind.

So welcome to "...On the Movie." I'll tell you more about my credentials next time, and I'll begin this blog, I think, by transfering over some of my recent Facebook film reviews, just to bank some items here and get this place started! I can't wait to hear what YOU think about the movies I review. Stay tuned for more...coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment