Sunday, April 19, 2009

Knocked Up (2007)

I guess I'm going to lose my "member of the American public membership card" now, because I thought this movie was good, but not great.
Since it was created by the same crew as The 40 Year Old Virgin, I expected to laugh on that level and came nowhere near. I still have memories of my friends sitting on either side of me at that film checking to make sure I could still breathe.
Yeah, there are some great lines here in Knocked Up, but maybe I have matured to a point as a human being that I did not find Seth Rogan's character terribly amusing. The CIRCUMSTANCES were amusing, but not him.
I am also wondering if perhaps my enjoyment of the film as a comedy was stilted by how truthful I thought it was. For me, Paul Rudd's character was like a 30-something married guy PROPHET. I couldn't laugh because I could empathise so much with so much of what his character went through.
That being the case, I thought it was a really honest film and I appreciate it for that. But I guess my humor doesn't match up with the majority of the country's, because this was NOT a laugh a minute film for me. Makes me nervous now to watch Superbad, which was the other film of the year that received such buzz.

2.5 out of 4

No comments:

Post a Comment