Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)

First, let's get the quibbles out of the way, for they are minor: Bonham Carter has a paper-thin singing voice. It's slightly more forgivable when you watch the film than it is when you just listen to the music, but fans of Sweeney Todd like myself probably imagine a more robustly-sung part. Also, the actor playing Anthony is too young and feminine looking. If you stood Anthony and Johanna next to each other, I'm not certain I'd be able to tell them apart! A more robust, manly sailor would have been better.
For me, everything else scores. Every number cut from the original musical is a justifiable omission here. Even the absence of "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd," the stage show's glue, is a sensible cut for the film, as Burton's visuals accomplish the exposition communicated by that song's multiple appearances throughout the musical. And while I could go on and on about how wonderfully dark and wickedly funny it all is, the best thing I can say about this film is that my greatest fear about it proved unfounded. I worried that in their attempt at gothic horror, Burton and his actors would lack the soft touch needed to communicate the sadness, tragedy and sympathy of the show. Thanks to Depp and Bonham Carter, though, they remain intact...wonderfully so.
When Sweeney finally corners Turpin (played just the way you would imagine Alan Rickman to play him), you root for this serial killer...you feel he is owed this moment. Is it a bloody film? Sure. But I was surprised at how much LESS bloody it was than I had prepared myself for. You'll see worse in other films, not to mention that the violence and blood here are stylized for artistic effect. I am so relieved that I was not let down by this film adaptation of one of my all-time favorite musicals!

4.0 out of 4

No comments:

Post a Comment