Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Gran Torino (2008)

After watching GRAN TORINO, I had to fight to be objective about rating it because my gut tells me that there are a few moments in the script that get preachy and the ending is a little predictable, which is disappointing in the fact that one of the movie's strongest suits is a refreshing lack of predictability.
But then, there's what my heart thinks about GRAN TORINO. And my heart says that Clint Eastwood's Walt Kowalski reminds me of my grandfather. My heart also marvels at the fact that just when I had decided that this was the best post-9/11 film about racism since "Crash," it turned into the best film about what it means to be a man since, well, since I don't know when. Once I wiped myself off the floor at the end of this one, I knew in an instant that it would be joining the list of films I teach in my film class.
GRAN TORINO has more thematic and symbolic depth that a great novel. It's about ignorance, respect, racism, ageism, lonliness, stubbornness, and about ten other things. And this isn't even a good review of the film...maybe some day I will write one that is more thoughtful and complete, but right now, I'm just overwhelmed by it all.
I can assure you that I will watch GRAN TORINO again and again. First "Changeling" and now this!? How can this man be for real?
And, I failed to mention, GRAN TORINO is as funny as it is serious. Somehow, Eastwood's heavy hand lightened just enough here to showcase his typical non-flashy directorial decisions and dry humor.
Most of the criticism I've read about this film surrounds Eastwood's decision to cast amateurs in the supporting roles. Their horrible acting ruins the movie, they say. But I think it says something that someone like myself, who cares so much about the acting, didn't seem to notice this problem. If you're transfixed by the supporting performances (which came across to me as muted but "natural"), then you aren't getting much more out of the film. Apparently, other things were more important to me.
This is a ridiculously good movie. Not perfect, but damn close.

4.0 out of 4

No comments:

Post a Comment