Thursday, May 14, 2009

Michael Clayton (2007)

Of this year's five Best Picture nominees, I've already expressed displeasure for There Will Be Blood, an uneven, overlong and sometimes overly-dramatic mess with flashes of brilliance, stunning cinematography, and the most memorable score of the year. And yet, dispite my distaste for the film, I'm okay with it's nomination because it is original and daring and compelling.
I don't think Michael Clayton is any of those things. In fact, its best quality is its ensemble acting cast, particularly the performances here by Swinton and Wilkinson, both justifiably Oscar-nominated.
George Clooney plays George Clooney...maybe someone can help me understand what's so amazing about his acting...I imagine him to be negotiating an end to the WGA strike as we speak in the same outfit and with the same tone.
As far as run-of-the-mill legal thrillers go, this is a good one, for sure. As far as a Best Picture nominee goes, however, it falls far short of the rejected Diving Bell... and Sweeney Todd, two works of bold authorial direction.
Overrated.

2.0 out of 4

No comments:

Post a Comment