Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Hancock (2008)

Sometimes I surprise myself and enjoy something even when it's a bit of a mess.
Maybe it was my lowered expectations going in, but HANCOCK ended up being a lot more fun than I thought it would be.
Let me get one thing out of the way -- I did not like the camera work. In fact, I think it made me sick because my eyes still hurt seven hours later. Too much hand-held closeup crap...too clausterphobic for its subject matter.
And yes, the story is a hot mess in some ways. But I guess I was so turned on by the premise of a rude superhero who resents his abilities, as well as the concept of the reprocussions (both financial and social) of a superhero's antics, that I ended up being quite entertained.
It was fun to see a crabby Will Smith and I always love seeing Jason Bateman. Here, his role suited him perfectly.
For once, I didn't think too much and was rewarded for it. HANCOCK was exactly what I wanted to see on this hot, summer day! Fun.

3.0 out of 4

No comments:

Post a Comment