Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Kung Fu Panda (2008)

KUNG FU PANDA is, I am certain, the best animated film to come from the Dreamworks studio. Since I have a Disney bias, I will add that it falls short of a Pixar classic or one of the golden era Disney animated films. But it's a million times better than any Shrek movie or "Madagascar" or "Shark Tale," for crying out loud.
The bad news about KUNG FU PANDA is that it is so ridiculously predictable that by the time you hear "Kung Fu Fighting" playing over the end credits, you can only sigh.
But there is plenty of good news here. The animation is stunning...maybe my favorite animation from an American-made major animation studio outside of the Disney world.
And the action is amazing. Styled after old martial arts films, it is action-packed from start to finish, and it all looks great.
Even the vocal casting feels perfect, which is hard for me to say given my lack of affection for the always-annoying Jack Black, who just plain works in this part.
I'm a little stunned, but I liked this one A LOT!

3.5 out of 4

No comments:

Post a Comment