Wednesday, May 27, 2009

WALL-E (2008)

Chaplin for the post-modern era.
Here it is, a masterpiece. And I don't throw that around lightly. This just about blows away everything of its ilk from recent memory. It has a love story far more touching than anything like "27 Dresses," a science fiction plot that tips its hat to "2001," and an environmental message that makes the dreadful "An Inconvenient Truth" look like a hot, steaming pile of pork barrel propaganda.
To say that I was taken with WALL-E is an understatement.
I was TRANSPORTED.
I was stunned by the quality of the message and the layers and levels here. As a film teacher, I could fit this movie in more than a half-dozen thematic units. It reminded me of "Modern Times" in its criticism of human reliance on machines and "City Lights" when it came to the love story.
I was surprised by how much more I cared about this rusted box than I have for the people in the last half dozen movies I have seen combined. I could go on and on, but won't. Feel free to contact me and I will go on and on some more...MADE MY HEART SING.

4.0 out of 4

No comments:

Post a Comment