Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Sex and the City (2008)

As far as being a guy and watching the length equivalent of five episodes of "Sex and the City" in a row goes, this wasn't bad at all.
I found myself laughing heartily at many parts in the movie and cringing in embarassment when my two female viewing companions sobbed at least a half dozen times apiece at things that my male brain couldn't comprehend as sob-worthy. But I think most guys think this movie is not for them at all. I guess in most ways, it isn't.
But that's too easy. On the plus side, SEX AND THE CITY manages to be both devestatingly sad and unbelievably funny. It extends naturally from the show but won't confuse any viewers who've never seen it. And there's only one moment in the film that I just couldn't buy (involving "Carrie's Gay" and "Charlotte's Gay").
Some drawbacks for me included the gratuitous running time and the lack of a clear message. One thing I loved about the show on HBO is that I found it to be more than just sunsationalism...each episode ended with a nice little moral, discovery or message, courtesy of Carrie in voiceover. Here, with the film, there are many mixed signals being sent. Is the film about materialism? The importance of taking care of yourself (or putting yourself first)? Forgiveness? The irrationality of love?
It's probably all of these and more. And sometimes the messages are at odds. But I will say this...when I found myself laughing, I am comfortable in saying that I did enjoy the girls -- both the ones on screen and the ones sitting next to me. I'm not sure how to make a masterpiece film out of the show, but this film version just WORKED, plain and simple.

3.0 out of 4

No comments:

Post a Comment